Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Rice Cooker Cake Recipes: Marble Butter Cake

Ever since I was a kid, butter cake has a special place in my heart. I am not sure why, but every time I see the tightly wrapped piece of cake in a cake store, my first instinct would be to buy it like there is no tomorrow. Now that I am older, there are times where I would still be craving for it but nonetheless be too lazy to go out just for a piece of cake, and my desire to bake it myself has unfortunately not been reciprocated because well, I do not own an oven.

That's when it hits me, a rice cooker. Of course! A rice cooker! As a proud Asian, I know that a rice cooker would not fail me, even in baking. So I have decided to bake a Marble Butter cake (20% for experiment purpose, and 80% purely from the determination to eat a cake). It was fairly easy to make and the result was surprisingly good. To say that I was excited would be an understatement.


The cake turned out super moist and buttery, with a hint of bittersweet chocolate from the cocoa powder. Friendly tips though, the texture of the cake does vary when it is in a different temperature. It would be slightly denser when warm but no doubt at its moistest state, and slightly dryer and lighter when you place it in the fridge for a few hours/overnight. Personally I prefer eating the cake chilled as it has more of that store-bought feel to it, but with such a versatile cake, it is up to you to decide how you like it best, really.  

So there you go, a cake made with a rice cooker. I am super happy with the result and I can't wait to make many more! Below is the recipe, do let me know what you think!
   

Rice Cooker Marble Butter Cake

Recipe by Ashley Ooi
Moist and buttery marble cake, made with a rice cooker!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
Total time: 2 hours (including cooling time)
Ingredients
  • 200g Self-raising flour
  • 1 tsp Baking powder
  • 150g Brown sugar
  • 250g Butter (salted)
  • 1 tsp Vanilla essence
  • 3 Eggs
  • 2 tbsp Cocoa powder
  • 30ml Milk
Cooking Directions
  1. Make sure the butter is in room temperature.
  2. Beat butter and sugar with a electric mixer until it becomes soft and fluffy.
  3. Add in one egg and beat with mixer, repeat for the second and third egg.
  4. Mix until creamy.
  5. Add in vanilla essence and mix again.
  6. Sift flour and baking powder in a bowl, add into the butter mixture.
  7. Fold the mixture carefully with a spatula.
  8. Add milk and fold until no lumps present.
  9. Take out 1/3 of the batter, fold in cocoa powder until well combined.
  10. Slightly grease the rice cooker pot.
  11. Put in one scoop of the pale batter in the middle of the pot, then a scoop of chocolate batter on top of it. Continue piling with the same pattern to achieve the swirl.
  12. Choose the 'Cake' function on your rice cooker, and press 'cook'. Use a toothpick to check doneness. 
  13. Once the cake is done, take out your pot and let the cake rest for 1 hour (minimum 30 minutes if you really can't wait any longer).
  14. Once cooled, flip the cake out and Enjoy!
Print Friendly and PDF

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment :)

 

Eat-Ying Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design